SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 Corded Ultra-Light Vacuum
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 is 2-in-1 corded, bagless vacuum cleaner. Shark HV391 can be used as ultra-light stick vacuum cleaner or as a powerful, yet compact handheld unit.
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 is designed to be used as the main vacuum cleaner in small to medium homes and apartments, or as a second vacuum cleaner in large homes.
Published: July 25, 2019.
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 Features and Specifications
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 incorporates several very important Shark's cleaning technologies in one lightweight design. These technologies include:
- MultiFLEX Technology enables the cleaning wand to fold, allowing rather compact, free-standing storage with minimal storage footprint. Also, it helps with the reach and cleaning under beds, couches, tables and similar areas.
- DuoClean Technology: main cleaner head features two different brushrolls - a combination of a bristle brush and soft roller brush. Such combination of brushes cleans better than the individual brushes, helping the user to clean fine dust and small and large dirt particles on both carpets and bare floors.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology ensures that no vacuumed air is released outside of the unit before it is filtered. All filters are washable, greatly reducing the maintenance costs.
- Noise Reduction Technology reduce the vacuuming noise and makes vacuuming much quieter. Actual vacuuming is not 'whisper quiet', but it is far from being a 'taking off Jumbo Jet', like some similar compact units.
- Active-Glide Technology ensures a smooth ride across various floor types and in combination with lightweight design, swivel mechanism of the main cleaner head, help with the maneuverability under and around typical floor objects and obstacles.
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 is rated at 600 watts (5 Amps) and features 30 feet (~9.1 m) long power cord.
Such long power cord in combination with detachable MultiFLEX cleaning wand ensures long cleaning reach using single wall power socket and cleaning surfaces from the floor to the ceiling.
Due to the very compact design, Shark HV391 doesn't feature automatic power cord rewind system.
Motor features thermal protection system that shuts off the motor if its internal temperature starts to rise. If that happens, turn of the unit, unplug it from the wall and check for blockages, clogged filters and similar. After cooling the unit down for at least 45 minutes, thermal protection system automatically reset itself and the unit is ready for use.
Note: Shark HV391 is really simple to use and maintain vacuum cleaner, but when it arrives, read the manual thoroughly.
In the stick/upright mode, units physical dimensions are 49 x 10.125 x 9.375 inches (~124.5 x 25.7 x 23.8 cm) and it weighs (power cord included, but without additional cleaning accessories) 9.8 pounds (~4.45 kg).
Dirt cup is transparent and detachable, featuring bottom emptying system that allows the user to empty the dirt directly into the trashcan.
Dirt cup capacity is ~0.45 liters and it is large enough for most cleaning tasks, although it could be slightly larger.
Power controls are simple and include three settings:
- '0': unit is turned off,
- '1': unit is turned on and the brushrolls spin slowly. This is recommended setting for bare floors, and especially sensitive hardwood floors and some area rugs.
- '2': unit is turned on and the brushrolls spin at the maximum speed. This setting is used for vacuuming carpets - as the brushrolls spin, they penetrate deeply into the carpet, pulling out embedded dirt, especially pet and human hair, dust, pollen, lint and other types of dirt and potential allergens.
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 Cleaning Tools and Attachments
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 main cleaner head features DuoClean technology - it has two different brushrolls that clean in unison, improving cleaning over wide range of floor types, regardless of the type of dirt - saving time and effort.
Main cleaner head features a set of LED headlights which help when cleaning in low light conditions, for example, under the beds and sofas.
Also, a transparent and removable brushroll garage allows the user to visually inspect the brushroll and ensures quick and easy access - brushrolls are not maintenance free and the user must periodically clean tangled hair and lint from them.
Main cleaner head features Brushroll Indicator Light that signals to the user condition of the brushrolls. If the Brushroll Indicator Light turns red, brushrolls are not spinning - if that happens, turn off the unit, unplug it from the wall and check the brushrolls.
Main cleaner head and other cleaning attachments can be attached to both cleaning wand and to the handheld part of the vacuum cleaner.
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 comes with the set of the cleaning tools that include Duster Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool, MultiFLEX Under-Appliance Wand and Accessory Bag.
Duster Crevice Tool is designed as 2-in-1 cleaning tool. Builtin crevice tool provides extended reach and help with the cleaning of small spaces, crevices, gaps, edges, corners and similar. Dusting brush is intended for cleaning of a multitude of surfaces - as the brushes glide over cleaned surfaces, dirt is agitated via brush bristles and then vacuumed into the unit.
Pet Multi-Tool is another 2-in-1, convertible cleaning tool, designed for cleaning tough pet messes in two ways.
A stiff bristle brush is used for cleaning pets' and other stuck-on debris, while an upholstery tool is used for removing stubborn pet hair, fibers, lint and other similar dirt.
MultiFLEX Under-Appliance Wand features a flexible elbow, helping the user to reach and clean under and behind appliances and hard-to-move furniture. When used for the first time, it is common for this tool to get clogged due to the buildup of dirt on such surfaces.
MultiFLEX Under-Appliance Wand is often combined with the MultiFLEX joint found on the cleaning wand, helping the user to reach and clean really awkward areas, not easily reachable with other tools and accessories.
Shark offers other cleaning tools and accessories that may be ordered later, if required.
Note: actual list of the cleaning tools and accessories may change over time - be sure to check it before ordering this (or any other) vacuum cleaner.
SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 Air Filtration
Air filtration system of the SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 ensures filtration of the 99.9% of 1 micron or larger particles, including pollen, pet allergens, plant spores, dust etc.
Shark HV391 features foam and felt pre-motor air filters and post-motor exhaust air filter.
All filters are washable using plain water. After rinsing the filters, they must be thoroughly dried out - let them air dry for at least 24 hours.
Never assemble the back into the unit unless they are fully dry - operating the unit without the air filters or with wet filters can damage the unit and void its 5-year limited warranty.
It is recommended to wash foam and felt pre-motor air filters once a month and to wash post-motor exhaust air filter every 9 months.
Also, if the user notice a drop in suction, check the filters and wash them even more often if required.
SharkFLEX DuoClean Vacuums - HV390 vs HV391 vs HV392
SharkFLEX DuoClean vacuum cleaners come in several versions. Main differences between these models are in color and the list of available cleaning tools and attachments - all three models are of the same dimensions, having the same DuoClean main cleaner head, MultiFLEX wand, Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology etc.
List of the cleaning tools and attachments of these models (taken from the official Shark's website):
- Shark HV390: 12" Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool, Accessory Bag,
- Shark HV391: Duster Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool, MultiFLEX Under-Appliance Wand, Accessory Bag,
- Shark HV392: Deep-Cleaning Motorized Pet Tool, Duster Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool, Accessory Bag.
Note: there are other cleaning tools available for these models, including 18" Flexi Crevice Tool, Anti-Allergen Dust Brush, Dusting Brush, Flexible Hose, Home & Car Detail Kit, Mini Motorized Brush, Multi-Angle Dusting Brush etc.
For short: SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 is versatile and affordable 2-in-1 vacuum cleaner. Strong suction is combined with innovative DuoClean main cleaner head, ensuring thorough cleaning of various surfaces.
Long MultFLEX cleaning wand and available cleaning tools help the user to clean elevated surfaces with ease.
For more reviews and recommendations, check SharkFLEX DuoClean HV391 Amazon link (link opens in the new window).