Shark ION W1 Cordless Handheld Vacuum (WV201)
Shark ION W1 Cordless Handheld Vacuum (WV201) is a compact, sleek, and rather lightweight, cordless, handheld vacuum cleaner. Shark ION W1 is designed to be used in emergencies and for quick cleanups at home or apartment, for car interiors and similar areas where access to awkward and tight areas might be required.
Shark ION W1 features power fade-free lithium ion battery, very strong brushless motor, washable dirt cup and air filter and other features packed in the low maintenance unit. And all these features come with very nice price tag.
Published: March 1, 2019.
Shark ION W1 comes in several versions, differing in available tools and accessories, for example:
- WV200: Crevice Tool, Multi-Surface Pet Tool, ION Charging Dock.
- WV201: Duster Crevice Tool, Multi-Surface Pet Tool, Dual Onboard Accessory Storage, ION Charging Dock.
- WV205: Crevice Tool, Multi-Surface Pet Tool, Dual Onboard Accessory Storage, ION Charging Dock.
Personally, Shark ION W1 WV201 model comes with the most useful and versatile cleaning tools, although if required, all cleaning tools and attachments intended for Shark ION W1 can be purchased later.
Shark ION W1, Model WV201 - Features and Specifications
Shark ION W1 weighs just 1.4 pounds (~0.64 kg) and can be easily used even by elderly people or children (supervised by adults).
3-cells lithium ion battery feature 10.8 volts nominal voltage and is able to supply fade-free power for ~9 minutes.
Shark ION W1 is powered with very efficient 120W (11.1 Amps) brushless motor providing very good suction - during longer operation unit gets slightly warm.
Note: unit also features thermal protection for the motor - if there is a clog or blockage of some kind in the unit, air flow through the motor is decreased, leading to weaker cooling of the motor. If there is a danger of overheating of the motor, protective thermostat shuts it off. When that happen, turn off the unit, check clogs, blockages or dirty filter and clean them up. Place unit in the charging dock for at least 45 minutes to cool down and then use it as you normally would.
Shark ION W1 WV201 model is easy to use and maintain unit, bu when it arrives, be sure to read the manual thoroughly.
Shark ION W1 features intelligent battery charger, allowing the unit to be placed permanently in the charging dock. When the unit arrives, for safety reasons during the transport, the battery is only 30% charged - it is recommended to discharge the battery fully and then to charge it at least 2.5 hours.
Controls are rather simple - power button turns the unit on and off and is located on the handle. Also on the handle, light indicator notifies the user of the current condition of the unit:
- Blinking blue light: low battery condition - simply place the unit in the charging dock and let it charge for at least 2 and the half hours.
- Blue light blinks twice, then pauses: blockage, clog, full dirt cup, dirty air filter. Turn off the unit and clean it.
- Solid blue light: unit is turned on and operates without issues.
- Blue light fades in and out: unit is in the charger and the battery is being charged.
- Dim blue light: unit is fully charged.
- No light: power is off, or unit needs to be recharged.
Shark ION W1 WV201 also features Dual Onboard Accessory Storage for storing available cleaning tools: Duster Crevice Tool and Multi-Surface Pet Tool.
Duster Crevice Tool is 2-in-1 cleaning tool designed for cleaning and dusting narrow and hard-to-reach surfaces. The Duster Crevice tool attaches to the Shark ION W1 vacuum to dust, clean tight corners, along baseboard edges, high ceilings, under furniture, etc. Conversion from the duster to crevice tool and back can be done quickly, by simply flipping the dusting brush.
Multi-Surface Pet Tool is designed to pick up pet and human hair, lint, fibers, small and large piles of various debris from upholstery, carpets, car seats, sofas, stairs and other bare or carpeted or upholstered surfaces.
List of other cleaning tools that can be separately ordered for the Shark ION W1 WV201 model includes:
- Crevice Tool is designed for cleaning tight and narrow gaps and places, like edges, corners, between seats and mattresses and similar. This tool is 'only' crevice tool, not crevice tool dusting brush combo like the Duster Crevice Tool that comes with WV201 model.
- Soft Dusting Brush features soft bristles for gentle cleaning and dusting of the sensitive surfaces.
- Scrubbing Brush features stiff bristles, designed for scrubbing (hence the name)of stubborn, stuck-on debris and is great for car mats, doormats, ceramic tiles and other similar surfaces that tolerate such scrubbing.
- Mattress Tool features the extra-wide nozzle head, which is specially designed to help deeply clean the mattresses. Note: although such tool can greatly help in maintaining mattresses clean, if you have issues with asthma and allergies due to the bed bugs, consider getting dedicated mattress vacuum cleaner.
Note: Shark ION W1 features tapered nozzle for quick and easy pickup of both large debris and fine dust, without the need of additional cleaning tools and attachments for most cleaning tasks - just keep the unit in the charger and when required, grab the vacuum and clean the mess.
When the Shark ION W1 is in the charging dock, its physical dimensions are (L x W x H) 4.1 x 8.1 x 15.2 inches (~10.4 x 20.6 x 38.6 cm) - it can be easily positioned permanently on the location where it doesn't interfere with the daily activities, but it can be easily reached when required.
Shark ION W1 features transparent and washable dirt cup, allowing the user to see type and amount of vacuumed dirt. From time to time, dirt cup can be washed using soapy water and rinsed with plain water - it should be reassembled only after thorough drying.
Air filtration is good, but it is not HEPA grade air filtration. Air filter is pleated fabric air filter and it does its job well.
To decrease the maintenance costs, air filter can be washed too, using only plain water. After rinsing, air filter should be dried for at least 24 hours and returned into the unit only when it is fully dried.
When washing the air filter, never brush it - it can damage the filter making it useless.
Since the clean air filter is so important for normal operation of the unit, some users cycle two air filters, one in the unit, another washed and dried, ready to be used when first filter gets dirty.
For quick air filter cleanups, air filter can be simply tapped onto the inner side of the trash can in order to remove dust and other loose dirt from the air filter.
Note: never use the vacuum with wet dirt cup and/or air filter and never use the vacuum without the air filter. For exact maintenance procedures check the manual that comes with the unit.
Shark ION W1 comes with 2-year limited warranty, which is nice warranty for unit in this class, but considering its price, it should have such warranty.
For Short: Shark ION W1 is not just another cheap, cordless, handheld vacuum cleaner. It is powered using strong, high capacity lithium battery, allowing rather compact unit to operate for 9 minutes at full power.
Thanks to the versatile cleaning tools, WV201 model can be used for quick cleanups at home, apartments, cars, tents etc. which can very important for people with pets and kids.
If you are looking for such unit, and don't mind paying slightly more, consider this unit.
For more reviews and recommendations, and most up-to-date offers and prices, check Shark ION W1 Handheld Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the window).