Germ Guardian AC4100 Desktop HEPA Air Purifier
Germ Guardian AC4100 is a lightweight and compact true HEPA air purifier, designed to thoroughly purify and even sanitize air at home and office. Thanks to its dimensions, it is often used as a desk air purifier, hence the name.
One of the reasons for the popularity of Germ Guardian AC4100 is a simple and reliable design, without advanced features like remote control, WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity, and similar. Also, it is a very easy and rather cheap air purifier to use and maintain.
Published: November 6, 2020.
Germ Guardian AC4100 Air Purifier Features and Specifications
Germ Guardian AC4100 features physical dimensions of (L x W x H) 7.5 x 6.5 x 11 inches (~19 x 16.5 x 28 cm) and it weighs 5.15 pounds (~2.33 kg).
The power cord is 6 feet (~1.83 cm) long, allowing the user to connect the Germ Guardian AC4100 into the wall power socket and place it in the required position.
Power consumption is relatively low - at the maximum speed, Germ Guardian AC4100 requires 0.56 Amps @120V AC (~67 watts).
Controls are just like the rest of the unit - simplistic and easy to use.
Controls include fan speed selector and UV-C light bulb On/Off button.
Note: UV-C light bulb is on when the button is depressed! However, if the fan is not working, the UV-C light bulb is Off, regardless if the control button is depressed or not.
Germ Guardian AC4100 fan speeds include:
- Low speed, also know as 'Sleep Mode',
- Medium speed, recommended speed for most situations,
- High speed, for 'fast' air purification.
We say 'fast', because this is a smallish, but stylish looking air purifier that features AHAM verified CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of Dust - 56, Pollen - 76, and Smoke - 50. Germ Guardian AC4100 is recommended for rooms or areas up to 78 sq.ft. (~7.25 m2).
But, it can easily fit at the desktop, countertop, nightstand, and similar locations.
Air inlet is at the back of the unit, while air exhaust is at the front of the unit.
Germ Guardian AC4100 features a multilayered air filtration system that is able to capture at least 99.97% of 0.3 microns or larger particles, including pollen, dust, mites, bacteria, and other harmful airborne particles. Also, it is able to remove odors and VOCs and to sanitize the air.
Air filtration layers are:
- mechanical pre-filter and activated charcoal air filter: they capture larger particles, pet, and other household odors and some of the VOCs.
- HEPA air filter: captures very small airborne particles.
- UV-C lamp: sanitize the air by killing all the bacteria and viruses that may have passed through the air filters. Germ Guardian AC4100 comes with a 2W UV-C lamp.
- Titanium-Dioxide (Ti02): in combination with UV-C lamp reduces VOCs even further.
Note: Titanium-Dioxide works in combination with UV-C lamp - that is why Germ Guardian AC4100 is sometimes labeled as 3-in-1 and sometimes as 4-in-1 air purifier.
How to Maintain Germ Guardian AC4100 Air Purifier
Just like the use of Germ Guardian AC4100 is simple, so is its maintenance.
Note: when the unit arrives, be sure to read the manual thoroughly in order to get accustomed to your new air purifier.
The most important maintenance procedures include:
- clean the unit once a month, even more often, if required. This means opening the unit and vacuuming air filters and internal components.
- replace air filters every 6-7 months. Pre-filter, charcoal filter, and HEPA filter come as a replacement kit, allowing the user to easily, at a rather low cost, replace all the filters.
Note: Air filters are NOT washable.
- once a year, replace the UV-C lamp.
When purchasing the replacement parts, be sure to go for OEM parts - there are cheaper parts on the market, but savings don't justify potential issues with air filtration and unit in general.
Germ Guardian AC4100 comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
Long Story Short: If You are looking for a simple, affordable, but effective true HEPA air purifier in order to purifier air in the office, at home, near the bed while sleeping and similar, consider Germ Guardian AC4100.
Note: some people don't like to have a UV-C lamp turned ON during sleeping, while the Germ Guardian AC4100 is at the nightstand - if the ozone is produced, its levels are extremely low. But, better safe than sorry - that is why it has a UV-C control button.
During the day, the UV-C lamp is usually turned ON.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check Germ Guardian AC4100 Desktop HEPA Air Purifier Amazon link (link opens in the new window).