Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum Cleaner for Hardwood and Tile Floors
Bissell 1543A Symphony combines steam mop and vacuum cleaner in one unit, saving time and effort. While vacuum cleaner removes the pet hair, dust and other debris off the floors, steam mop clean the floors by removing stuck on messes and sanitizing the surface by killing 99.9% of germs and bacteria.
Bissell 1543A Symphony comes with two microfiber pads optimized for various cleaning tasks. Also, it features additional detachable SteamBoost tray and disposable Swiffer SteamBoost cleaning pads.
Updated: April 17, 2019.
Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet - Features and Specifications
Bissell 1543A Symphony is powered via 25 feet (~7.6 m) long power cord. Such power cord allows the user to clean rather large are using single wall power socket. However, some users complain that the power cord could be little bit longer.
Unit doesn't feature automatic power cord rewind system - power cord is manual wrapped around cord wrap hooks. Although such rewind system would be nice, it would increase mechanical complexity, weight and probably the price of the unit.
Bissell 1543A Symphony comes with 400 W (3.3 Amps) motor that creates required suction for vacuuming and with 1100 W (9.2 Amps) water heater for producing hot steam.
When being turned on, water heater requires some 30 seconds to start to produce steam, which is similar to many other steam mops in this class.
All controls are conveniently positioned on the handle and they include:
- Hi: sets the steam to high - this setting is recommended for though and stubborn messes on the heat and moisture resistant floors,
- Lo: sets the steam to low - this setting is recommended for everyday cleaning and when cleaning delicate floors,
- Vac: turns the vacuum on.
Steam mop feature and vacuum cleaner feature can be used separately or combined. For the best effect, use them combined - as the vacuum cleaner picks up dust, pet hair and other debris, steam mops sanitize the floor.
Also, as the vacuum cleaner picks up debris, cleaning pads get dirty more slowly, enabling the user to clean larger area without interruptions required for replacing the steam mop pads.
Bissell 1543A Symphony doesn't feature full swivel mechanism, but although it weighs 9.74 pounds (~4.41 kg) with an empty water tank and feature 11 inches (~28 cm) cleaning path, it can easily maneuver around the floor obstacles.
Water tank capacity is 12.8 oz (380 ml) and on average, it is enough for 15 minutes of cleaning.
Main cleaning nozzle uses two types of microfiber pads:
- scrubby microfiber pad for cleaning stubborn and tough messes from tiles, marble and similar floors,
- fine microfiber pad for everyday cleaning, especially the cleaning of the delicate and sensitive floors.
Few important notes:
- Bissell 1543A Symphony is simple to use steam mop/vacuum combo, but nonetheless, read the manual/instructions before the very first use,
- combine use of vacuum and steam mop is recommended for faster and more thorough cleaning,
- grains of sand and similar dirt, even when the floor is steamed using fine microfiber pad, can damage the sensitive floors. If you steam mop doesn't feature built-in vacuum, be sure to vacuum wooden floors before steaming,
- Bissell 1543A Symphony doesn't feature scrubbing mechanism. Such mechanism can save even more time, but it also increase complexity of the unit, weight and in the end, the price of the unit,
- when steam cleaning wooden, laminate and similar floors, be sure that your floors are certified for such cleaning and that their finish has no cracks. If there are cracks, moisture can penetrate the wood and make it buckle and rot. This is important for all steam mops, not just Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet.
- waxed and similar floors should not be cleaned using steam mops, since hot steam can damage the wax coating.
Tap Water or Not?
Personally, plain and simple - NO! Tap water leaves a residue on the water heater and on the cleaned floors, especially in the areas with hard water.
Distilled or demineralized water costs more, but it leaves floors shining. Even better, Bissell manufactures scented demineralized water which both clean the floors and leaves the pleasant scent, increasing the feeling of freshness and cleanness.
Such scent is not strong, but if you do find it too strong, simply dilute the scented demineralized water with plain distilled/demineralized water.
When cleaning with microfiber pads, it is also possible to place scented discs into the inner pockets of the pads - scented discs also leave pleasant fragrance in the cleaned room. Again, if the scent is too strong, use just half of the disc.
Disposable Steam Pads
Bissell 1543A Symphony features detachable SteamBoost tray and disposable Swiffer SteamBoost pads.
This option is highly recommended for people with pets and kids since some messes are better cleaned using disposable pads (just throw them away after cleaning) than with microfiber pads (which should be washed after cleaning).
Dirt bin is transparent, allowing the user to see amount and type of the vacuumed dirt.
When the vacuumed dirt reaches maximum fill line, dirt bin should be emptied. Also, it is recommended to empty it after each vacuuming.
Fortunately, thanks to the so-called Drop-IT Tank Emptying System, user can quickly and easily empty the dirt bin, without touching the dirt.
Air filtration is good and is based on the centrifugal action and mechanical air filtration. Air filter is washable, but after some time it should be replaced - depending on the use, replace the air filter on average every 6 months.
Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet doesn't feature carpet glider by default, but if required, it can be ordered later.
As such, Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet is NOT designed for carpet cleaning even though it has vacuuming feature. But, if you want, it can be used for cleaning carpets and reviving them - as the Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet glides over the carpet, vacuum cleaner picks up dirt and debris (but not deeply embedded pet and human hair, dirt and debris due to the lacking roll brush) and steam mop clean and revive top surface of the carpet.
But, for deep cleaning of the carpets, one has to use vacuum or carpet cleaner designed for carpets.
For Short: Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet is excellent steam mop/vacuum cleaner combo. As the vacuum cleaner picks up the dirt and debris, steam mop cleans and sanitize the floors.
As with all other steam mops, be very careful when steaming hardwood and similar floors - if there are cracks in the finish, steam can significantly damage such floors.
If you are looking for good and reliable steam mop, consider Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet - it comes with 2 year warranty and considering its features, rather acceptable price.
For more reviews and recommendations and for most up-to-date prices and offers, check Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum Cleaner Amazon link (link opens in the new window).